500 gms - Sliced lamb
500gms - Basmati rice
Water as required
1/2 tsp - Mace powder
4 nos - Green cardamom
4 nos - Black cardamom
4 nos - Cloves
5 nos - Bay leaves
200 ml - Oil
50 gms - Onions
5 tsp - Ginger-garlic paste
2 Tsp - Salt
2 tsp - Chilli powder
1000 ml - Water
3 1/2 tbsp - Brown onion paste
Saffron few strands
60 gms - Sliced onions(fry the onions till brown and keep aside)
For the covering:
1/2 cup Flour
100 gms - Butter
Cooking Instructions :
- Wash and soak rice in water for one hour.
- Drain and boil in sufficient water with mace powder, green and black cardamom, cloves and bay leaves till three-fourth done.
- Remove from heat, drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry sliced onions till brown. Saute by adding ginger-garlic. Put the lamb pieces and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, chilli powder and water and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the brown onion paste and cook till the lamb pieces are tender and the curry thickens. Remove from heat.
- Mix butter and flour. Knead to a smooth soft dough by adding enough water.
- In an oven proof vessel place alternate layers of rice and lamb curry.
- Sprinkle saffron and browned onions. Seal the vessel with the prepared dough and place in a moderately hot oven (150oC to 175oC) for 20 minutes or till the covering is cooked.